The Davis-Edwards House is one of the oldest structures in Walton County. The house was named to reflect the fact that two families - one following the other - lived in the house for almost 125 years. It is on the National Register of Historic Places, is open for tours on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of every month from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Admission to the house is $3 per person and children under 12 are free.
The Davis-Edwards House is also available for group tours by appointment and for rental for various functions such as luncheons, weddings, showers, meetings, etc. For more information about touring this beautiful home or to plan an event, please call (770) 267-6663 or (770) 207-1229.
The Davis-Edwards House has been furnished to reflect how the Davis family might have lived during the mid-1800's. The furnishings include a number of furniture styles including Queen Anne, Hepplewhite, Sheraton, Empire and Victorian. The interior of the Davis-Edwards House retains most of its original woodwork and hardware. A simple trim was used around the doors and windows on most of the second floor and likely reflects the style used in the original building. A much more deeply carved trim is used on the second floor and is thought to have been added when the house was remodeled in the Greek Revival style. There are six mantel pieces in the house, each with their own unique, decorative elements. Most of the home's doors have their original carpenter brand locks in place.
Although no written records of the construction have been located, the building methods of the house indicate that it was built between 1830 and 1835 in the Federal style. However, it is believed to have been remodeled in 1845 by Josiah Clark in the more fashionable Greek Revival style. In 1846 the house and its surrounding 34 acres were purchased from Mr. Clark by Charles Davis, a bachelor attorney from Vermont. In 1848 he married Mary Patillo and together they raised four children. Charles Davis died in 1879. The Davis-Edwards House was acquired by the Historical Society after John Edwards' death. Structural preservation and restoration were completed in 1976.